Thursday, March 8, 2012

Simple Gifts

It's funny, after posting my latest blog today, I heard from so many people who have been there for the last 19 years, and actually, for many years before that even.
I will never forget my mom, coming to spend the "new baby" days with me. Telling me it was ok to cry, while teaching me how to take care of a baby and to be a mother. Because that's who Jared was first and for most,a baby,even if I had trouble seeing it at the time. I remember my big sister Cheryl, upon hearing of Jared's arrival,flying from DC into a snowstorm, and even when her plane was re-routed to another city, renting a car with a perfect stranger who was heading towards me so that she could take care of her little sis, just like when we were children. I don't know if she really knows what that meant to me, how much I needed her at that moment in my life. I remember my friend , Sharon, who came to the door the night we brought Jared home. The doorbell rang, and when I opened it, there she stood with champagne in her hand, arms stretched out ready to hold this baby, chipping away at the shame I had from having a baby who was just shy of perfect. And my sister, Kathy, who gave me permission to be mad, to say,"this sucks, this really sucks." funny, I don't think I have ever heard her say that word again. But I needed to be mad for awhile, and she knew that.
So, to the women in my life who were there when I needed them so damn much, I thank you. And I want you to know that, without your support and love and laughs, this journey would have been so much harder. I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment