Saturday, April 28, 2012

Present Past Future

Recently, I picked Jared up from his volunteer job at the Y. When I got there, I couldn't find him. One of the workers told me that he was in the back offices. Of course, I thought,"Ok, what did he do now?" (oh ME of little faith...), however Jared walked out with a smile on his face. I asked him what he had been doing and he told me he had a conversation with one of the staff coordinators wherein he asked what  employment opportunities might be available for him upon graduation! 19 years, and my son still surprises me!I was so impressed with him! I congratulated him on his initiative, and as we drove home, we continued the discussion of his future. We talked about where he might work, what he might do, how he might make his mark on the world. As we pulled into the driveway, I turned to him and said, " I know a perfect job for you!" As he looked at me, I told him, "You could meet with couples who have recently had a child with Down Syndrome and tell them your life. You could share pictures and stories!" and then I said to my almost grown son, "If YOU had come to see me when you were born, I would have been ok." Two sets of blue eyes filled with tears as we held hands for a brief moment. I know Jared got me right then. I know he understood.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. We've had experience in a support group...and talking to someone else who's already been there (or is there right now) was so important. I think he could have great impact.

    ReplyDelete