Thursday, August 9, 2012

It's the Same...but Different Part 2

     When we dropped Jared off for his week-long college experience, we got a hint of what it must be like to leave a child in a new place, with new people, so,  like millions of worried parents before us, we did the only thing we knew to do; we puttered.  We helped Jared take his suitcase and bedding to the suite that would be home for him and his two roommates for the next 5 days. My husband did what a lot of fathers must do in similar situations: He hooked up Jared's phone and made sure Jared was aware of where to charge it. As this was going on, I did what millions of mothers before me have done: I embarrassed my son, pulling out and storing underwear and socks in the bureau, not without Jared telling me to "stop waving his underwear around for everyone to see!"  It occurred to me as we stood in that dorm, that this would be the first time that our eldest son would be away from us without staying with or traveling with another family member. Jared's brother Jake confirmed this for me as he stood pensively watching his big brother make his bed with the help of his roommate. Jake said, a couple of times, "I hope Jared is ok." "He will be," I assured him (and myself) "He'll have a blast!"
     Jared pushed us out then. "You can go now. I'll be fine!" Leaving was strange, kind of like walking away as an invisible string held me to my boy, my oldest son, my Jared.  The same string, I'm sure, that has bound millions of mothers and fathers before me to their fledgling children; the same....but different. You see, Jared will be coming home in a few days, but now there is the possibility that there will be a time when a few days will stretch and when Jared really does go to his adult life and we are the place he visits.  But now, Jared will be back home in a week; a brief stay at "college", but a giant step on this journey.  When he was a baby, he walked; he was 21 months old, but he walked.  Last night, he told me I could leave. He is nineteen years old, but he told me I could leave. Read on...

 Texts from Jared's first night at college:

 Mom: Hi Jared! Put the Iannotti's phone number on your desk!
Jared: OK
Mom: Are you having fun? Remember to let the food people know you are gluten free!!!!  Love you!!!!!
Jared: Love you too
Mom: Is it awesome?
Jared: Yes. Stop texting me.
Mom: OK! Sorry! Bye!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment