Sunday, March 6, 2011

Happy Birthday to My Son

On this eve of Jared's 18th birthday, thoughts and reflections continue to travel through my head, carrying with them feelings of wistfulness, nervousness, and thankfully, happiness too.  It's not surprising that I find myself alternating between memories of the day Jared was born and hopefulness, with a certain sense of nervousness, as he enters into the realm of adulthood.  18 years ago, I had trouble breathing, and didn't know how I would ever get out of that hospital bed.Today, I frosted gluten free cupcakes with Jared. He's taking them to school for his friends tomorrow. 18 years ago, I was told that no one knew when or if Jared would speak or walk; Last night, I stayed awake until almost midnight so that I could pick him up from Dance Marathon.  18 years ago, I pushed away that plate of hospital chicken and thought that I would never want to eat again, that things like food and music and laughter would never again hold any type of interest for me.  Tonight, Jar wants to go out for BBQ. We're going, and I'm having a beer, and it is going to taste great. I think I'll order the chicken too. 

1 comment:

  1. You've had a wonderful journey--image if you had known 18 years ago how wonderful the eve of his 18th birthday would be for you.

    Happy Birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete