Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Shrek Goes to College

One of the most interesting things about having Jared in our lives is the paradox that is him. So often, it seems as if Jar has a foot in two worlds: the high school junior world, which holds within it wrestling, cheerleading, newspaper club and choir and that still innocent world in which is held the magic of Christmas, ICarly, and stuffed animals.  Last night, as we finished dinner, the phone rang. On the other end was a college information line; Apparently, Jared had signed up for some college counseling, which is all good. Jared is researching colleges, particularily those which offer programs for young adults with intellectual disabilities.  I'll write about that another time because it is exciting how much there is out there for our kids.  The funny thing about this call, was the timing of it. As I tried to decipher what the young lady on the phone was saying, there sat Jared, happily reading the back of "Donkey's Christmas", one of the Shrek videos he had ordered from Amazon.  It is when his two worlds collide that gives me pause. I remember transitioning from high school land to the college world, but it was a smoother, more natural movement. The gap between Jared's two existences is so much larger, so much more pronounced. I don't know if I'll ever get used to that.  Will he come home from his job some day only to take out his stuffed animals and act out something that happened at work?  Will he flip past the news to the Disney channel? I used to push Jared to grow up, but maybe that will be where he goes when he grows up, and that is becoming more and more ok as we all get used to Jared, the young man.  Remember what I said about perspective.  As long as he is happy, we are so ok with that.  We are on the brink of an interesting time with Jared. As he prepares for adulthood, we wonder how much of his childhood will go with him.  I have to say, I love that Christmas still brings with it such mystery and joy for Jared.  I think that's why I still believe in Santa Claus.  Merry Christmas to you all.  May we all take a page from Jared's book this season and immerse ourselves in the magic that so many of us miss while rushing through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment